Sunscreen or Moisturizer: What Should You Apply First?
The age-old argument around skincare continues: What should we apply first sunscreen or moisturizer? Both sunscreen and moisturizer are essential for maintaining healthy skin, this makes people frantic about using them in the right order. This blog will go into detail on the advantages of sunscreen, explain whether it should be applied before or after moisturizer, provide advice on how to include sunscreen into your daily routine, and show you how to apply sunscreen properly.
Benefits of Sunscreen
Sunscreen is your skin's first line of defence against the harmful effects of ultraviolet (UV) radiation from the sun. UV rays can lead to premature aging, sunburn, and an increased risk of skin cancer. (1) Here are some of the benefits of wearing sunscreen on face every day:
- UV Protection: Sunscreen forms a barrier on your skin that absorbs or reflects UV rays, preventing them from penetrating and damaging your skin cells.
- Prevents Premature Aging: UV radiation can break down collagen and elastin fibres in the skin, leading to wrinkles, fine lines, and sagging. Sunscreen helps maintain youthful skin by blocking these damaging rays.
- Reduces Hyperpigmentation: Sunscreen prevents the overproduction of melanin, which can cause dark spots and uneven skin tone.
- Lowers Skin Cancer Risk: Regular sunscreen use significantly reduces the risk of developing skin cancers, including melanoma, the most dangerous form of skin cancer.
Should You Apply Sunscreen Before or After Moisturizer?
The effectiveness of your moisturizer and sunscreen may differ depending on how you apply them. Also, the difference between sunscreen and moisturizer is considerable based on their ingredients. Due to this, it is generally agreed that sunscreen should be applied after moisturizer as the last step of your skincare routine. This is why:
- Moisturizer First: Applying a moisturizer before sunscreen helps create a protective barrier on your skin, ensuring that the sunscreen is evenly distributed and doesn't clog your pores. It also keeps your skin hydrated, which is crucial for optimal sunscreen absorption.
- Sunscreen Second: Sunscreen should be the final layer of your skincare routine. This allows it to form a shield over your skin, effectively blocking UV rays without any interference from other products.
How to Incorporate Sunscreen into Your Daily Routine
- Cleanse: Take a coin-sized amount of gentle facewash and slowly lather it to apply to your face.
- Tone: If you use a hydrating toner, apply it after cleansing to balance your skin's pH.
- Treat: Put 2-3 drops of serum on your face and gently dab it in. Apply any serums or treatments targeting specific concerns, such as acne or hyperpigmentation.
- Moisturize: Take a few pumps of lightweight moisturizer on your palm and gently massage it onto your skin for better absorption.
- Protect (Sunscreen): Finish with a broad-spectrum sunscreen like 3AM Sundowner Sunscreen with SPF 50 and PA+++. Apply it generously to all exposed skin areas. (2)
You might like reading:
The Correct Way of Using Sunscreen
To make the most of your sunscreen application, keep these tips in mind:
- Use a generous amount: Apply a sufficient amount of sunscreen to cover your entire face and exposed areas of your body.
- Reapplication: Just like hydration is important, remember to apply sunscreen every two hours if you are outdoors, or more frequently if you're sweating or swimming. (3)
- Don't Forget Your Neck and Hands: These areas are often neglected body parts, but they are just as susceptible to sun damage since they are exposed to the sun as much as your face is.
The verdict is clear enough with this blog on what should be applied first moisturizer or sunscreen. The moisturizer comes first, then the sunscreen. (4) This makes sure that your skin gets the hydration it requires while still receiving the benefits of sunscreen's sun protection properties. Healthy skin requires regular maintenance, so include sunscreen in all of your everyday activities.
Now that the confusion about which comes first, sunscreen or moisturizer, is over, let’s make sure your skin is covered in a generous layer of sunscreen to keep it healthy. Your skin will thank you for the protection and care it deserves. Confused about finding a sunscreen that checks all the above points? Look no further; 3AM's vegan skincare range has you covered. Our lightweight Sundowner Sunscreen with SPF 50 and PA+++ is just right for you. For your daily skincare trust 3AM because we bring you easy-to-use and multifunctional clean beauty skincare products.